Previous slide
Next slide

Canada Visit Visa / eTA

Every year millions of tourist visit Canada in to enjoy the many opportunities our country has to offer, including visiting family and friends. If you wish to come to Canada for a temporary purpose like a vacation or to visit family or friends, you may need a Canada Visit Visa / Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), unless you are a citizen from a “visa exempt” country.

An electronic Travel Authority (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air that is electronically linked to your passport. The authorization is valid for five years or until the traveller’s passport expires, whichever comes first.


➤    Letter of Invitation from Canada

➤    Proof of funds to maintain themselves and their family members in Canada and to return home

➤    Proof of temporary accommodation in Canada

➤    Proof of ties to home country

➤    Satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their stay

➤    Not intend to work or study in Canada (unless authorized to do so)

➤    Have no record of criminal activity or be a security risk for Canada.


Most foreign nationals planning to visit Canada need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)  or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada. Some people may only need their valid passport. Answer a few questions to find out what you need to travel to, or transit through, Canada.CLICK HERE

It is difficult to predict the time it will take the Canadian government to process your TRV applications as it can vary in different parts of the world. However, we recommend applying at least 2-3 months in advance of your planned departure from Canada in order to avoid disappointment.

The process can be completed faster with the guidance of professional legal representative. The following are common factors which could delay the processing of your application:

         ➤ Incomplete applications

         ➤ Medical exam required

         ➤ Further background or security checks required

         ➤ Criminal record

         ➤ Interview required to confirm genuine nature of the visit

         ➤ Further verification of documents required

If you are in Canada on a visitor visa and wish to apply for an extension of your stay in Canada, you need to get visitor status. You can apply for visitor status from within Canada at a Canadian immigration office. However, you should apply before the expiration of your current visitor status. As a general note, when you come to Canada as a ‘visitor’, you will be given visitor status for a six month period. If your visitor status expires but you have already applied for an extension and are waiting for your renewal, you have what is called implied status, until a final decision is made on your extension application. If your application for an extension is refused, you can apply for restoration of status, so long as your application is made within 90 days of the refusal date.


The Canadian government as security measure introduced on November 10, 2016, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) mandatory requirement for visa-exempt nationals seeking to enter Canada via air. This process includes all transit travellers.

At present, a few exceptions exist which include US citizens.  Travelers entering Canada by land or sea are also excluded from the requirement to obtain an eTA.  Applicants who need a Canada visit visa, such as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) are excluded from the requirement of obtaining a separate eTA.

An electronic Travel Authority (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air that is electronically linked to your passport. The authorization is valid for five years or until the traveller’s passport expires, whichever comes first.

How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?

To apply you must have a valid passport, a valid credit or debit card and an email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA and only takes a few minutes to apply. Approved eTAs are valid for up to five years.

Get help with an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) CLICK HERE

For most, an eTA will take a few minutes to register. The process is done online. For others unlucky enough to have ever been arrested in their lifetime, a problem will occur. Other “problem” candidates will include those with an immigration violation in Canada, or who were previously removed, excluded or deported from Canada.

Out of the “problem applicants”, a few will be able to continue with their plans to travel to Canada, but will be referred to “secondary” upon their arrival for additional screening. For others, an eTA application will be refused and the traveler will not be able to travel to Canada, let alone obtain a boarding pass, until the matter is cleared before the Canadian consulate or embassy.

We suspect that the vast majority of denied, or “secondary referrals” will stem from a criminal conviction that occurred in the past (regardless of how long ago the offence occurred). Information about how an arrest or criminal conviction can render you “inadmissible” to Canada can be found here. Information about ways to overcome your inadmissibility, both temporarily or permanently, is also found on this website.

If you have a criminal record, or if you’ve ever been arrested (even if charges were subsequently dropped or dismissed), we urge you to consult an admissibility specialist such as our firm before applying for your eTA.

If you are a foreign national with a criminal record who needs an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), you may have to submit a separate application for criminal rehabilitation before you apply for your eTA.  Once you have received confirmation of your rehabilitation, you may apply for an eTA. If you apply for your eTA before you receive your rehabilitation, your application will be assessed based on the information currently available and may result in the refusal of your application.

For more information about Inadmissibility to Canada.  CLICK HERE


Logo of The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants, featuring a red maple leaf inside a circle flanked by the institution's name in English and French.
      Monday- 9.00       Friday-17.30
       Weekends                  Closed
       Bank Holidays          Closed

Tel: 0345 055 9861

How Our Services Can Benefit You!

Find out more about Pahl & Associates' professional services, immigration procedures, and qualifying criteria. This will assist you start your Canadian journey with ease and professional advice!

At first sight, the process for applying for a TRV/Visit Visa appears to be uncomplicated and fairly easy to navigate without any legal advice or representation. However, our experience indicates that there is a greater risk of refusal in cases where an application is not properly prepared. The evidentiary threshold is significant. Overall, you can increase your chances of receiving a favourable decision on your TRV applications with the assistance of an authorised legal representative.

Many of our clients prefer to relieve themselves of preparing paperwork and having to deal with the Canadian government by appointing Pahl & Associates as their authorised representatives. We regularly assist many clients successfully visit Canada including those who have been previously refused. As professional representatives we are unable to offer any guarantees, however, we are confident that we can increase your chances of success with our extensive experience.

A TRV ( Temporary Resident Visa ) Visit Visa is generally filed in advance via the consulate, a Visa Application Centre (VAC) or at the Embassy. We usually submit TRV/Visit Visa applications online via the relevant visa post serving the applicant’s country of nationality or residency.

We offer a Consultation or Full Representation Service for applicants seeking to apply for a TRV/Visit Visa.

Consultation Service is perfect for those who seek advice and clarification in relation to the key requirements for a TRV/Visit Visa prior to submitting an application directly to the Canadian government.

Full Representation Service includes the following.

         ➤ Assessment if an applicant is eligible for a TRV/Visit Visa

         ➤ Preparation of submission letter confirming the purpose of visit in detail

         ➤ Advise in relation to supporting documentation including the invitation letter

         ➤ Liaising with the Canadian government on behalf of the client

         ➤ Interview preparation if required

Contact Us

Book a consultation with Pahl & Associates to assess your Canada immigration enquiry. Consultation charges will be deducted from your final fees should you retain our services. We offer both online and phone consultations.