Previous slide
Next slide

Study Visa Canada

Canada is a top-ten study destination worldwide.

If you intend to study in Canada, you will likely need a ‘Study Permit’ popularly known as a Canada student visa in some parts of the world. A Study Permit is issued by the Canadian government which gives you permission to study in Canada for a temporary period. In most cases, the Study Permit specifies the particular educational institution and course of study. Approved study permits may be limited to study at a specific school, or a specific course of study.

Study Permits are temporary resident visas (TRV) and the requirements which need to be met are demanding prior to any approval by the Canadian government.

In the majority of public schools, students may also seek on-campus employment without a work permit, or, after a period of 6 months, seek off-campus employment on a part-time basis.

Pathway to Permanent Residence

International graduates of Canadian institutions may obtain a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) after their studies, allowing them to work anywhere in Canada, for any employer, for up to three years.

Work experience gained on a PGWP may contribute towards an international graduate’s eligibility for permanent residence programs and can provide a way to remain in Canada and work while an application for permanent residence is in process

Student Permit Canada Requirements

To be eligible to study in Canada, you must be accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada. Once you receive this acceptance, you can then apply for permission to study in Canada. It is important to make sure that the courses or programs that you choose in Canada conform with the type of study/work that you have completed in the past.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC ”) will be looking to see that your study plan is consistent with your past education.
You must also prove that you are able to financially support yourself during your studies and have sufficient funds to pay all your education fees. It is possible to include proof of financial support from your parents to help satisfy IRCC that you have the required funds to support your studies.In cases of minor children, IRCC will want to see that the minor has also made satisfactory arrangements for his or her care.

IRCC will want to ensure that you have sufficient ties to your home country and that you will return home once studies have been completed.

It is essential to note that certain institutions and lengths of programs will qualify you for off-campus and post-graduate work permits. If you are hoping to work during or after your studies, it is important to determine ahead of time whether your chosen school/program qualifies.

➤    Satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies

➤    Have a letter of acceptance from an educational institution

➤    Prove that you have money for the duration of your stay in Canada to pay for tuition fees, and living expenses for yourself and accompanying family members.

➤    Be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity Not be a risk to the security of Canada.



Canada has one of the highest standards of education in the world. If you want to increase the prospects of your study permit being approved  we recommend you contact  Pahl & Associates,

Summary of our Full Representation Service:

➤    Letter of Invitation from Canada

➤    Proof of funds to maintain themselves and their family members in Canada and to return home

➤    Proof of temporary accommodation in Canada

➤    Proof of ties to home country

➤    Satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their stay

➤    Not intend to work or study in Canada (unless authorized to do so)

➤    Have no record of criminal activity or be a security risk for Canada.


Generally you can stay in Canada for the duration of your study permit. Look at your permit and it will tell you when it expires. In some cases, you can apply for an extension.

Yes, but only under limited circumstances such as when:
➤    Your employment is on-campus;
➤    The international student is the recipient of a scholarship;
➤    The work has been certified as being an integral part of the program of study;
➤    The work consists of academic research or a post-doctoral fellowship;
➤    The work takes place after graduation in a field related to the program of study.
➤    Spouses of international students are eligible to work temporarily in Canada.
There are other ways to work while on a study permit depending on where you study in Canada.

No. You do not require a Study Permit when:
➤    You take a French or English language training course that is no more than three months in duration; or
➤    You are the spouse or dependent child; a diplomatic or consular officer; a representative of a foreign country; or a representative of the United Nations or any other intergovernmental organization of which Canada is a member.

Yes you can. You will need to file Form IMM 1249. This immigration visa form is used by individuals who want to file for an extension of their study permit in Canada. Individuals submit form IMM 1249 to change conditions or to extend their stay in Canada as students. This application is for temporary residents who reside currently reside in Canada as students.
Note: Individuals holding valid current temporary resident status can apply for an extension of their stay, provided they apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of their current status.

Logo of The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants, featuring a red maple leaf inside a circle flanked by the institution's name in English and French.
      Monday- 9.00       Friday-17.30
       Weekends                  Closed
       Bank Holidays          Closed

Tel: 0345 055 9861

How Our Services Can Benefit You!

Find out more about Pahl & Associates' professional services, immigration procedures, and qualifying criteria. This will assist you start your Canadian journey with ease and professional advice!

Contact Us

Book a consultation with Pahl & Associates to assess your Canada immigration enquiry. Consultation charges will be deducted from your final fees should you retain our services. We offer both online and phone consultations.