Canadian Citizenship

         ➤ To become a Canadian citizen, most applicants must be a permanent resident

         ➤ have lived in Canada for at least 3 out of the last 5 years (1,095 days)

         ➤ have filed their taxes, if they need to

         ➤ pass a citizenship test

         ➤ prove their language skills in English or French

         ➤ take the oath of citizenship.

There are a few ways you can become a Canadian citizen without applying to be one. In these cases, you may still want to get proof of citizenship.

There are also times when you might think you became a citizen, but you did not. In those cases, you may be eligible to apply for citizenship.

         ➤ were born in Canada

         ➤ became a citizen because of changes to the Citizenship Act

         ➤ applied for and received your Canadian citizenship (became a naturalized citizen)

         ➤ received Canadian citizenship as a minor when a parent or legal guardian applied for your citizenship

         ➤ were born outside Canada and at least 1 of your parents (legal parent at birth [opens in a new tab] or biological parent) either

                             ➤ was born in Canada, or

                             ➤ became a naturalized citizen before you were born

         ➤ were born in Canada to foreign diplomats

         ➤ had your citizenship taken away (revoked)

         ➤ renounced your Canadian citizenship and never applied to get it back

         ➤ marry a Canadian citizen

         ➤ are adopted by a Canadian citizen

         ➤ have your refugee claim accepted

         ➤ live in Canada as a permanent resident for many years

         ➤ were born outside Canada to Canadian parent(s) on or after April 17, 2009, but neither parent was born or naturalized in Canada


Citizenship Certificate

A citizenship certificate is a document that confirms proof of Canadian citizenship. Any Canadian citizen can apply for a citizenship certificate, though if you were born in Canada you do not need to get one as your birth certificate will suffice for proof of citizenship within Canada.

Proof of Citizenship – Born Outside of Canada to a Canadian

If you or your child were born outside of Canada, you need to apply for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate in order to claim the benefits of citizenship, such as carrying a Canadian passport, working in Canada, or voting in Canadian elections.

The Citizenship Certificate is the standardized document that will leave no doubt as to whether or not you are a citizen.


Your child may be eligible for Canadian citizenship if born outside of Canada and at least one of your biological or legal parents at birth was a Canadian citizen.

Proof of Canadian citizenship will allow your child to enjoy all the benefits of being a Canadian, including voting in federal elections, getting a social insurance number (SIN), access to universal healthcare, and getting a driver’s license.

In order to prove Canadian citizenship for your child, you will need to submit a proof of Canadian citizenship application to the Canadian government. This is also known as applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate.

The Canadian citizenship certificate and a Canadian birth certificate are the only two documents accepted by Passport Canada as proof of Canadian citizenship.

You can apply for a citizenship certificate at any time and irrespective if your Canadian parent is alive or deceased.

It is important to note that Canada limits citizenship by descent to the first generation born outside Canada or to a Canadian parent, so you will not be eligible if only your grandparents or other extended family is Canadian.

In addition, if you were born abroad and adopted by a Canadian after your birth, you are not eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.

Proving your Canadian citizenship can be very laborious and time-consuming, especially if you are the only person embroiled in gathering all the required documentation needed to do so.

To relieve you of the anxiety of going through this complex process alone, we recommend contacting Pahl & Associates and speaking to Mr. Pahl who is a UK-based Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) with 20 years experience in handling Canadian citizenship applications. RCICs are immigration experts certified by the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC) and can represent you having fully evaluated your proposed Canadian citizenship or immigration application.

Pahl & Associates will assist you in completing the relevant application forms, help you gather and verify your required supporting documentation, represent you with Canadian government authorities, and provide you with the guidance and support you need for a successful application.

Provide a free initial consultation and advice regarding the application for a Canada Citizenship Certificate

Assistance for the preparation of documents required for the client

Preparation of authorization letter and application form(s)

Prepare and submit documents package to IRCC

Liaison with the IRCC regarding the application

Report the application status to the client

Monitor application processing at the IRCC

Forward the certificate to the client’s designated mailing address once application has been approved

Please note we confirm our fixed fees during the initial free consultation based on the complexity of the application.

Logo of The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants, featuring a red maple leaf inside a circle flanked by the institution's name in English and French.
      Monday- 9.00       Friday-17.30
       Weekends                  Closed
       Bank Holidays          Closed

Tel: 0345 055 9861

How Our Services Can Benefit You!

Find out more about Pahl & Associates' professional services, immigration procedures, and qualifying criteria. This will assist you start your Canadian journey with ease and professional advice!

Contact Us

Book a consultation with Pahl & Associates to assess your Canada immigration enquiry. Consultation charges will be deducted from your final fees should you retain our services. We offer both online and phone consultations.